Friday, July 10, 2009

Reunion Day!




Today we spent the day visiting our sponsored families. What a day it was! Meeting our family for the second time was so much different than the first. There is a sense of anticipation from both sides that by the time you arrive at their house, you’re about ready to burst with excitement. Each family was elated by our arrival and dressed in their best clothes and had prepared seats for us in their home. They obviously knew that we were coming and many of them had made or gave gifts to show their appreciation.
My family was last on the itinerary. Bosco and the other case workers kept telling me all day that I will be so proud of our family. They said they had been using their sponsorship money well and they were amazed by their progress. They were especially impressed by the relationship between Florence and Aida. They were co-wives…married to the same man (who is now deceased) and both have many children. They all live and work together and the wives are like sisters.
We had to walk up a foot path to their home since they did not live off of the dirt road. When they saw us walking up, all I could hear was “mammi, mammi”. They came running down the path and began hugging everyone and especially me. I cried and was overwhelmed by their welcome. It was sweet and they were so happy to see us. They walked us up to their home and had us sit on the chairs and mats they had laid out in the front yard. Our interpreter, Huntington, translated their words of welcome and gratitude. I showed them the picture album that I had made for them and read them a prayer thanking God for everything that he has done in their lives and ours. I also explained to them that Ken and I had been laid off but even thru all of our struggles, it was important to us to maintain our sponsorship to them… because we cared for them so much. It was an emotional meeting. We hugged lots.


They showed me around their place. I have to admit that the case workers were right. Their place was amazing. They were all dressed nicely in clean clothes and sandals. Each woman showed me their home (hut) and each had one bed (for mom) with several mats on the floor for the children. They also showed me their new house they are building. Building a house in this area is not an easy task and they had managed to get most of the house built out of bricks and are in the process of saving for the roof. The house consists of 2 sitting rooms and 2 bedrooms so each family will now live under the same roof. Their relationship is unique and special.
They have much livestock, a cow, many goats, pigs and baby piggies, chickens and a couple ducks. They are farming on their land, casava(roots) mostly.




As a gift, Florence made me a bowl and Aida made me a colorful mat. They also gave me a rooster! When they handed that thing to me, I about died! I was cracking up and the rooster was squaking and flailing its wings! We took it home with us and needless to say we will be having chicken for dinner tomorrow night...seriously...Harriet(our fabulous cook) killed it and its on the schedule for dinner! I'm grossed out!

No comments: