Thursday, July 19, 2007

I'm Here!!!


I'm finally here in Uganda! Wow, it was a quite a journey just getting here! It was nice to get off the plane and see Ben, Melody, kids, Bosco and Cyprian waiting for us. We landed in Entebbe, the air smells fresh and it is quite humid. We all managed to get all of our lugguge...I brought too much in my carry-on and fought with that the whole trip-live and learn. Anyway, we loaded up a small bus and suv with all of our stuff and headed about 45 min. to our house in Kampala. The house is nice. I'm rooming with my bud Silvia..she is the mommy of the group, always making sure we all are fed and comfortable. The house has a tall stucco fence all the way around it (I'll take pics tomorrow) with a guard at the gate. There are a few people working here taking care of the house, I forget their names but they are very sweet. I immediately took a shower and ate breakfast (french toast and pineapple)-it was delish (pic of me eating on GFR blog). Then I took a 4 hour much needed nap since I had barely slept in 36 hrs. , ate dinner and then had a "Welcome to Uganda" meeting. We met Ida (pictured above). She is the new Director of GFR here in Uganda. She used to be a high school teacher but is now retired and works with various non-for-profit organzations. She obviously has a passion for education and has raised money to pay for tuition for over 200 kids. Anyway, she is awesome and she gave the ins and outs of the culture and what to expect in the coming days. We are leaving first thing in the am to demolish a home in the city of Kampala for a blind woman (on GFR blog) and her family so that a new home can be built. We are all anxious to get started on this mission. Anyway, everything is great and I'm so excited to be here-I miss my family so everyone hug them for me. I have a feeling this next week is going to fly by!


My new pad...the mosquitos come in swarms in the evening so nets are a necessity at night. Fortunately, they don't really bother me but it's still annoying to have them swarming around your head!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ang - these photos are fantastic. I just logged in for the first time and I am loving reading everything. Nlp

Joyce Fox-Tyler said...

07/23/07 Angi, I am hanging on every word and pic. Loving it all. What a journey!
I am so very proud of you and so excited for your experiences.
The 'comment' function was not loading so this is my first to check in with you. Keep on keep'en on.
Luv U, AJ

Unknown said...

What a FANTASTIC journey. You are truly making a difference. Keep writing. I am just so very moved by your mission. Good luck. Nlp