Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Reflecting Back...












Questions everyone has been asking me...

Were you surprised at what you saw?


I wasn't sure what to expect but I knew it would be pretty bad after reading Melody's blogs. I guess I was surprised by the lack of modern conveniences in the city of Kampala. Although they had cars and motorcycles for transportation, not all of the buildings had electricity and most of the little shops alongside the roads were like shacks. I was surprised that there wasn't running water throughout the city. Some of the roads were not paved or only partially paved. I guess I just expected the city to be more modernized. I knew that the villages would be rural and people would be living off of the land but I was surprised by how little they had. Their kitchen would consist of a fire, a pan and maybe a cup and plate. They slept on mats on a dirt floor. It was obvious that they didn't bathe or change clothes. They didn't have water to drink let alone to bathe in. One thing that surprised me was their teeth...most of the people I saw had beautiful teeth..yes, they needed to brush but I don't recall seeing alot of decaying teeth.

Was I scared?


There were times when I was a little uncomfortable. I never felt like I was in danger but there were times when there were soldiers standing around with AK47s strapped to their back....and that made me uncomfortable. Even our guard at our house had a big gun and it was unnerving...not sure why it was necessary but everyone had them so I guess it is the norm. You are not allowed to take pictures of the military so if you do, they will take action. An American girl that we met named Audra told us that she was detained by the military because they thought she was taking pictures of them and she fortunately had contacts in the government so ultimately they let her go...otherwise they would have put her in jail. yikes.

Do I feel like a different person?


Not really. Honestly, I was expecting to make this major transformation while I was gone but I realize now that this experience has reaffirmed what I already know about myself. I didn't feel like I had to stretch to reach out to these people because it came naturally. I realized that I am strong and I am faithful. I wasn't really shocked by what I saw, rather I felt compassion for them and prayed for a better life for them but I wasn't wounded by it. Although I know the desperate need, I left there feeling hopeful rather than feeling haunted. I saw that these people were so faithful without having anything and I admired them for it. I am excited for those families that were sponsored and I can't wait to see how it affects them and their community.

Will I go back?


Probably. I would like to go back someday. I would like my husband to go. I kept thinking how great the experience was and how Kenny would have loved it. I could see him being a workhorse-tearing down and building houses. I could see him carrying those water jugs up that hill in half the time as me. He has such a big heart, I could see him giving the shirt off his back to these families. I don't know that we could ever go together because someone has to be with the kids but I would love for him to have this experience. Actually, I would encourage anyone to take this leap of faith...it was a blessing.


To sum it all up...

I don't think that we need to change these people, they are perfect just the way they are. They don't need the luxury items that we take for granted everyday because the way they live is what they know and understand. I do pray that they would not be hungry and sick. I do pray that they could have better access to clean water...water would help so much...sanitation, disease, health. I pray that they could all have access to education...the more they know, the easier to change their future...job skills, Aids education.

Thru GFR, these are the types of things that we'll be able to address. If you're interested in sponsoring a family that has nothing...let me know or contact Ben & Melody Pahlow at GFR's website (the link is on this page). The money goes directly to the families...in fact, I left money, my blanket and clothes for my family before I left Uganda. I was able to give it directly to my family's case worker, Fred, that was traveling to that area the next day. It's a good feeling to know that I can help provide food for a family of 11 children even when I'm sitting here in Aurora:)

Thanks again for your support, the emails, the words of encouragement...I hope you were able to enjoy this experience along with me. Love you All!

Team Africa

1 comment:

carolyn said...

I'm really proud on you Angi and I think your observations and insight really helped me to understand they are not poor because of a lack of electricity it's the hunger and sickness. Now I too have something better to pray for.