Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Leap of Faith


My friend gave me "The Pineapple Story Series" cds to prepare for my trip to Africa. Otto Koning, a missionary, talks about the spiritual life lessons he learned while serving in New Guinea. He's an old dude and he's comfortable to listen to... as if your grandfather was telling stories of the old days... and he is quite funny. He talks about learning to yield your rights to what you have because as we know, God truly owns the rights to everything .
He also discusses the verse (Matthew 10:39) "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." I actually had to teach this verse to the our kids at church a couple of weekends ago and since then, it has reminded me of why I'm taking this trip. Most of us tend to hold on tightly to earthly things (ie.money, security, power, popularity), and we often find ourselves feeling empty inside. We try to keep all of our bases covered at all times but ultimately run the risk of losing it all. But if we're willing to take a leap of Faith, we can find what it means to truly Live.

No comments: